View Single Post
      08-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

N55 E88 First Mods!

Recently acquired a '12 6MT M-sport DSM/Oyster 135i.
She's my DD. Though I'd love to try an autocross one day, and plan to do a HPDE course next year and squeeze in the occasional track day, it's not a race car, my wife will (occasionally) drive it, my kids will ride in it, I commute ~ 40 miles a day, and will take it on road trips about 250 miles each way every couple months - along with blasting the back roads and twisty bits of Northern California when I can break away from other responsibilities.

I've wanted Pilot Super Sports on a BMW since before which BMW I knew I was going to get. (Had S-04's on my C-Class before.)
Now I see they may overwhelm the chassis.

So:
There's still plenty of tread on the SP 01 RFT's, and I'm still getting a feel for the characteristics of the car - so I'm in no hurry.

I'm planning to go 225/40 F and 245/35 R.
I'm also planning to get the Whiteline RSFB's at the same time, whenever that is.

Coilovers are distant future for me - if basic mods are unsatisfactory, or when the original shocks wear out. I thought I was going to go KW SC's, but I don't see 'em for the 'vert. So will look into ST XTA or TC Kline, unless/until I hear SC's will work.

In the meantime, to get a little of the 1M handling magic (reduce terminal understeer for minimal cash outlay without compromising DD ride composure), I'm thinking of either tapered 26.5mm E90 335i or straight 26.5mm E92 M3 front sway bar; and pull the alignment pins and add M3 control arms to add a little negative camber. Do I need anything else to optimise control, response, grip and feel yet maintain BMW's legendary (and most prized) ride/handling balance?
Not looking to invest in M3 steering rack or square wheels just yet.
But if there's another small piece I'm missing, I'd love to know.

I do see that the M3 sway is popular around here. Anybody try the 335i bar?

Thanks!

- Tom

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 08-06-2015 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0