View Single Post
      10-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #35
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax240 View Post
Auto/DCT cars have the electronics in the transmission that control the gear shifts. the driver just selects up/down. so what annoys me is the programming taking over and over-riding what I gear I want.
This is not true of all DCT/AT transmissions. Specifically, it is not true of BMW's DCT transmission used in the M2/M3/M4 and the ZF8 in the new M5.

Quote:
e.g. if I want to use a lot of engine braking, I might down shift very early. or if I want to keep a car stable during a corner, I might hold it past redline.
The transmissions I refer to above allow you to do this. More to the point, they behave exactly like the MT does in those two cases. That is, you can downshift as early as you like, and you can hold the gear at redline and it will soft-bounce on the limiter. Again, identical behavior to the MT.

Quote:
unless you have a race programmed transmission, I'm pretty sure, the car is going to disallow any commands it doesn't like.
You're wrong. But even if you were correct, did you forget that this thread is specifically about a race car? So we are indeed talking about a "race programmed transmission" here.

It's ok though. Now you have the facts and you can go on about your life in a more informed manner. Have a good one.
Appreciate 0