View Single Post
      11-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
BruceWarne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Performance Suspension - worth it?

Hi

I currently drive a Mini Cooper S JCW with some suspension mods. My lease is about to expire.

I do 1 or 2 trackdays a month. I'm a few seconds off the TTC pace with street tires...I figure I can buy my MINI and spend $5000 on it and be competitive...or just buy a 135 + brake pads/fluid & R-compounds (plus some practice to learn RWD again) and shave a few seconds off that way (135 is also TTC last I checked)...I hope I'm not too naive.

So I'm about to sign for a 2011 135i.

I hate understeer, and I spent quite a bit of time and money getting rid of (most of) it on the MINI.

It seems that the 135 has a reputation for pushing? Sort of opposite to my previous RWD car (S2000)...

I'd like the handling to be at least neutral.

I would also like to keep my factory warranty intact -for now. I guess the big suspension/brake mods will happen eventually, but for now I want to be conservative...

Is the BMW Performance Suspension kit worth it? Or would a front swaybar give me what I want (weird dialing out understeer with a stiffer front bar - but I understand the physics)? Are there any "stealth" bars that I can fit - I'd hate to get my warranty voided about something so benign.

I'm asking because EVO magazine installed the kit and their laptimes went up...
Appreciate 0