06-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkaia524 View Post
A few thoughts for Jim:

Regarding tire wear: I bought my 128i with 35K on the odometer. Tires were Nittos, so I know they were not the originals. But I don't know how new they were. That set of tires lasted 80K miles.

Regarding brake life. Maybe you should think about changing your driving style? Whatever you are doing you are incredibly hard on your equipment. Are you ruining in red light grand prixs all the time? For example, if I'm in traffic and see a light ahead, I shift to neutral and coast. Thinking of neutral as a gear will save you a lot of wear on your mechanicals.

Regarding downshifting to a stop. Unless you are rev matching every shift, practicing you he'll/toe skills, you are also putting a lot of unnecessary wear on your clutch.
Sorry if I wasn't clear but I haven't replaced the brakes on my 128i (manual), I'm wondering when I need to check them. Based upon responses to-date, I', thinking 50K miles is safe. They might go twice that but probably not.

You "hard on equipment" comments are probably based upon a belief I need brakes already. But, for the record, I do heel and toe on downshifts. I haven't always, however, and my manual transmission vehicles have been fine. I had one go 140K miles between my son and I on the original clutch. The synchros in the transmission can also complain about downshifting but they were fine too. I believe the secret is not so much the heel and toe (although it helps the synchros) but not getting the rpm up too much downshifting. I never go above 2K rpm on a downshift unless I'm on a track. Ususally it only bumps up to about 1,500 rpm. That sort of downshifting doesn't hurt the car - at least in my experience.

Coasting for any distance in neutral is probably usually OK but some transmissions may not lubricate properly when in neutral at speed. If you do it a lot, I would check to see if it can be towed in neutral. If it can't you probably shouldn't stop that way.