10-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsherri View Post
The W6 and W7 are both JL Audio subwoofers. The W7 is the big brother to the W6, but both subs are known to be incredibly capable and high quality.

Both of our setups utilize the stock headunits. I can't recall whether Ben has the Logic 7 system or not; however, mine does.

The amp for the L7 is behind the left rear seat panel between the inner and outer steel panels. I used a basic PAC Trunk-LOC line-out converter that also integrated the remote turn-on wires. I think it was $40. Install was a pain the first time I did one (took 3-4 hours because I had no clue what I was doing), but the second time on my friends car took only 2.

Regarding finding someone to build one locally to you: you may see if Ben is willing to ship to S. Africa, provided you'd be willing to pick up shipping charges. I recently shipped something of similar weight (and only slightly smaller) to Russia and the charges were around $70-$80. Pricey, but not terrible, all things considered. Good luck!
Thanks for the response! Appreciate it!

Thing is $70/80 (prob more) on top of 300$ is going to work out rather expensive.. I will look into it though!

I don't have the Logic7 unfortunately.. I have the optional premium Hi-Fi. Will it still make as much of a difference as it does with the Logic 7? How would it work? Wouldn't the speakers distort like they do at the moment when turned up high with songs with bass? Or would I have to turn the bass down on the head unit for the stock speakers and let the amp + sub handle the majority of the bass?

Another thing, since the Sub is positioned in the boot as such, does it suppress the bass a lot? It is not firing inward out outward, but rather sideways? Was speaking to a sound installer today and he said i'm not going to feel much with only a 10" JL sub, and that the 500/1 amp is overkill. No need for such a big amp? However i explained I want that amp because it fits perfectly there. Is this true?

Reading your responses it definitely sounds like you can feel it

Thanks a lot appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0