Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildenstern View Post
I did research on this when I was getting my B.S. in Aeronautics a few years back. It's actually false. The Rhodopson in the rod cells of the retina is sensitive to wavelengths all the way down into the near infra-red. With night vision the more important factor is intensity, not frequency. And in fact a lower intensity white light works better than the brighter red light needed to read the same indications or chart. Most new aircraft have white lights in the cockpit now and it increases night visual acuity as well as reducing eye strain.

That being said white IS a bad color for the IC because it's not different enough from the road environment outside. With illuminated instruments (As opposed to things lit by flood lights) you want a solid contrasting color that will help in the dark to define items inside and outside the car.

Also the cluster then won't match all the other orange in the cabin.

So having a low-lit white gauge cluster is better than the current orange?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
There is a thread somewhere on here (I just tried searching without luck) about a video showing a 135i with a really cool wrap done to it. Its silver, but looks like brushed aluminum. The car, I think, is in Russia, and during the driving portions of the video, you can see the white gauge cluster. Maybe someone else might have better luck finding it. Could be used as reference.

Ha! Found it.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0