View Single Post
      01-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
euro2fast4u
Private
Rep
Drives: signle turbo e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildenstern View Post
I did research on this when I was getting my B.S. in Aeronautics a few years back. It's actually false. The Rhodopson in the rod cells of the retina is sensitive to wavelengths all the way down into the near infra-red. With night vision the more important factor is intensity, not frequency. And in fact a lower intensity white light works better than the brighter red light needed to read the same indications or chart. Most new aircraft have white lights in the cockpit now and it increases night visual acuity as well as reducing eye strain.

That being said white IS a bad color for the IC because it's not different enough from the road environment outside. With illuminated instruments (As opposed to things lit by flood lights) you want a solid contrasting color that will help in the dark to define items inside and outside the car.

Also the cluster then won't match all the other orange in the cabin.

very interesting. so because most drivers tend to keep the lights on full brightness then can we say that the red/orange light is better. honestly i have never seen any one dim there dash ever.