View Single Post
      06-22-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4r_dr1v3r View Post
I was doubting they would copy the solution adopted by VW simply because car makers like BMW and Mercedes don't usually do copy/paste... Especially being something innovative. They just wish they had come up with the solution themselves in the first place. However, I can't see the antenna on the 3 series convertible...
I think maybe "copy/paste" is a bit of an oversimplification. German automakers are very cooperative with each other. In fact Mercedes-Benz uses Volkswagens VR6 engine (think R32 but also available in the Eos) in a Mercedes Van because its a very compact form factor, and its an outstandingly well designed engine. The VR6 is so good, its also used as the base engine in the Porsche Cayenne. All the German auto manufacturers are buying from the same OEM's like for example, Siemens VDO, Getrag, Hella, Webasto, Bosch, Wilhelm Karmann GmbH. So it would be a bit naive to think that BMW would refuse to do integral antennas just because the Eos had it first. And it would also be a bit naive to not understand that German cars have more similarities under the skin than you might initially think.

But back to your picture of the 3 series. Most 3 series convertibles I've seen do have the shark fin on the trunk lid, a few don't. I'm not entirely sure why, mainly beause the current 3 series puts me to sleep. Really, I wanted to like the E92/E93 when It was introduced, but after an honest assesment of the current 3 series (looking past the BMW badge) I see a car that is unrecognizable as an evolutionary stage after E30-E36-E46. That's why I'm here...the 1 series coupe and convertible is "the purest BMW" currently available.

One attribute I would very much like to see in the 1 series convertible is the ambient rope lighting along the interior side panels. To those unfamiliar with this, you can see it at 3:22 into the video below.

http://shows.autospies.com/video/335..._Drive_web.wmv
Appreciate 0