04-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
I was able to test drive the X1 xdrive23d yesterday courtesy of Westside BMW.

I have to say I was really impressed! Mid-size SUV's have never been my thing given my childless bachelor ways (for now at least...) but I was quite interested in the X1 for reasons I can't quite explain.

It has an absolute bottomless well of torque (allow a guy some poetic licence) and pulls like a tractor. I think I said to the gf about three time, "wow, check out this power. And it's a diesel!" She smiled dutifully and made apreciative noises. She's such a good girl.

It didn't wallow around in corners nearly as much as I thought it would and I found the suspension to be great compared to my expectations. The xdrive reminded me of my WRX when I was foot to the floor through a tight-ish corner, it just dug in and kept pushing. Side mirrors are HUGE, great visibility.

The love the panoramic glass roof.

For a family car in a couple of years I would buy one in a flash. I think it'd be a great weekend getaway car too with all that space.

What don't I like? Small stuff really. Dash plastic is, well, there's just a lot of real-estate there covered by this stuff compared to my 135i. Same material, just more of it and I don't like it. Sorry, can't do better than that so my days as a motoring journalist are probably over before they start.

I'd also opt for the M-sport steering wheel as I found the stock too thin for my butchers hands and the full electronic sports seats, they're a must-have also. Being a 1'er it's a shame there's no HUD option!

Anyway, anyone in the market for a car like this should check it out I reckon and take it for a drive. I quite enjoyed myself, I just have to see if I can avoid our next car being a C70 Volvo for the gf and get and X1 instead. Wish me luck!
Sounds awesome! Did the demo car have the DPC option? That would explain how it cornered so well.

Damnit, I wish my girl appreciated POWWEERRRRRRRR like yours. Most of the time she just grabs onto my arm and then threatens to engage neutral.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0