View Single Post
      04-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #26
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I guess with a convertible it is less of an issue. I pretty much always have a little knife on me so I could go out through the top if necessary. But I see about as much down as up side relative to wrecks. On one hand, the door should be less likely to fly open - but it should not open regardless. I also am a little concerned that it could be more difficult to open once the car comes to rest if it is locked.

I rarely lock a car door because I don't want somebody to jump in the car. I have done it and will continue to but most of the time, I at least think I am in safe enough areas this should not be an issue. I am also larger than average and in decent shape so I like to think there are easier targets for somebody inclined to do something they should not to pick on. Someday I may regret my habits but so far it has worked out OK. If my top is down, which it is as much as reasonably possible, it also doesn't make a lot of difference if the doors are locked.

Jim