View Single Post
      01-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I have full glass coverage on my cars, which where I live is a no brainer. You can pretty much expect to get at least one really bad rock chip impact per year here, if you drive in rural areas, most especially in the winter. Shortly after taking delivery of my 135is convertible in early Dec. 2015, I took a direct hit right in my line of sight, in front of the driver's seat. Safeco sent a contractor out to "fix" the rock chip, but the result was sub-par, which the tech said it would be on account of the size and foreign matter left in the windshield.

In the spring I called the insurance company again and was transferred to Safelite. I insisted on BMW glass to be installed at the dealer. They said fine, but I would need to pay for it myself and then send them the bill, which I did. I was fully reimbursed for the ~$1200 replacement within a couple of weeks.

This winter it has been my "utility car," a VW Golf R, which took one for the team. I got nailed in almost the same place, on a mountain road with twists and turns. I don't know anything about VW OEM glass; perhaps, the Safelite glass is superior :-) I took it in to Safelite in Boise and the fix is again, not satisfactory, this time because the crack extends out at least an inch now from the epicenter, which was fixed, and you can see it anytime the sun hits the windshield at the right angle. So, this coming spring I will get that windshield replaced. Not exactly sure what I will ask for, this time, will have to do some research on VW glass first.
Appreciate 0