07-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #15
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat
The sport package is the only must-have option. I really don't see the point of the premium package unless you want leather.

Most of the standard features that the average consumer comes to expect in an upscale car today are now will be standard in the 335 - the moonroof, power seats, the upgraded sound system.

My opinion of various options:

Sport package - if you don't want this, you really should be looking at a Lexus instead. The sporty handling and driving feel are the BM's strongest selling points.

Premium package - as above, might as well throw in the extra $800 if you're going to get leather anyway. I strongly dislike leather (and no, I'm not a PETA member), but I'm in the minority.

BMW Assist/Bluetooth - useless. BMW Assist sounds like a great feature on the surface - automated emergency dispatches, scheduling service appointments, etc. Except, like any great feature, you pay for it - a fairly hefty $240 per a year - and the concierge service costs even more. Worth it? Not to me. As for Bluetooth, you'd better have a Bluetooth phone that will sync with the car - though I don't see why you wouldn't just buy a much cheaper wireless headset and use that instead. Sure, you'll look like a tool, but you made the decision to look like a tool the moment you decided to buy a BMW in the first place. Tint your windows.

Park Distance Control - if you can't maneuver a small car in tight spots without hitting something, please just do society a favor and surrender your license immediately. I've used this feature in the E60 M5 and I don't like it nor trust it.

Automatic transmission - some people have their reasons. I can respect that.

Active steering - one question: why? Bad arthritis? Laziness? Buy a Lexus.

Cold Weather - I live in Florida, so I've no opinion on this.

Comfort Access - Admittedly, I'm a sucker for cool gadgets. This is one of the cheaper options and I like it.

Active Cruise Control - You know, I used to laugh at these systems - but then, while stuck in traffic on I-75 surrounded by people who make a bad habit of accelerating and braking repeatedly (is the concept of holding a constant speed lost on people?), I began to wish I had one. It has its uses - IF you spend a lot of time on the interstates. Personally, at $2200, it's too steep given what it does and how often you'll probably use it.

On-board Nav/iDrive - another gadget. This would be a tough decision. I doubt I'd get much real use out of it, to be honest, but it would be nice to have at times.

Heated Front Seats - one of my fellow E46-driving friends swears by these. I think they're silly down here. Probably worth it if you live in a northern climate.

Fold down seats - if you need the utility, go for it. But then, why aren't you buying a touring? Hurts the chassis stiffness considerably, for those who like to track or autox their cars.

Power shades - it's called window tint and it's fairly cheap (cheaper than the sunshade), and it also improves the look of the car from the outside. I suppose if you'd like to write in a nasty (retractable) message to tailgaters, then by all means...

Satellite Radio - buy an iPod instead.

Any questions?
Nope, I agree...CA is the only option I really thought about but I'm fine using my key as before!

The only options I have ordered on past BMW's were sunroof and xenons...along with sport...now, with those two being standard, the only option I am getting on my 335 is sport...the rest of the options I have no need for...I'd rather put the $ saved into MSD's or use it in case I decide to pay cash.
Appreciate 0