View Single Post
      07-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #67
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
I've run MRLS (Laguna Seca) twice and my times where in the 1:49 -1:51 range with a fast lap of 1:47 prior to the addition of full race pads and better tires. I'll be there in August with BMWCCA with both full race pads and new tires combine that with more track knowledge and I should be 1:44 maybe 1:43. Monterey never gets that hot so limp mode really shouldn't be an issue even with a stock car. The real issue for long sessions with a 135 at MRLS seems to be the brakes more than anything else. That track eats street pads, even good ones. I believe Randy Pobst went 1:45 in a bone stock 135 around MRLS, so as you can see I have a lot of room to grow. He could probably be sub 1:40 in my car.

Contrary to other peoples experiences with limp mode I don't have that happen very often. The times I did have it happen it was due to the BMS intake I had on the car. I removed it and haven't had an issue since. I ran two days at Thunderhill two weeks ago with day time temps at 110 degrees without having limp mode raise its head. I do have a FMIC and oil coolers so those help tremendously. For comparison in the open group at Thunderhill Spec Miatas run in the 2:11-2:14 range. My 135 will run 2:08 lap after lap without limp mode, brake fade, etc.. The key might be that I only have a slight tune on the motor, guys with other tunes seem to have a lot more issues. Just a thought I'm not sure though.

I run in the open group and I have a bit of experience so that definitely helps keep my times down, but I'm not a pro. If you learn where to push and what the car is doing underneath you, fast times are readily available in a 1 series. Brakes, cooling, tires, and suspension all need to be addressed in order to be fast. For the money I've spent I could have made another car even faster, but the 1 series does double duty pretty well and this is still a car my wife drives to work every now and then so it can't be a total track rat.

Well that is legitimate. Thank you. This helps other 135 owners to know what works based on fast driving.

I was T-hill 2 weeks ago in 110 degree heat with NCRC. Is that who you were with? I was in my daily driver white 328 as my track car was broken.

I'm amazed with only oil coolers, and an FMIC you don't have limp problems.
Appreciate 0