View Single Post
      01-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
Considering the high percentage of AT 135s d/cing that option could create problems.

I would love the DCT choice but my wife does use the car on occasion and she prefers
the non involvement mode of driving. She does like powerful cars but that is where her involvement starts and ends.
A DCT will be perfect for her and for anyone else who wants an 'automatic' trans where they can simply put it in "D"rive and go about their merry business while never having to touch a trans related button or lever other than the typical things anyone does in any automatic trans.

A dual clutch trans can operate in FULL automatic mode where you simply select "drive" and go. You don't need to worry about stop and go traffic and how long you've been on the brakes or anything like that, well, at least that's how it's been for the current crop of DCT's from VW and Mits.
If BMW doesn't do something hair-brained to mess up a good thing, minimal driver involvement is all that will be needed to use it.

For those want some involvement the DCT will operate pretty much the same as the Sportronic trans does now. If you want manual mode you can have it, and you can select gears with either the console lever or the paddle shifters. How far to redline or near redline the system will allow before doing an automatic upshift is up to BMW. I hope the system will allow full up to the limiter performance without upshifting for us.

The main problems with DCT's is how smooth or unsmooth they can be in stop and go traffic where a manual driver will typically need to slip the clutch in order to stay with traffic and do it smoothly. The Audi/VW DSG has had some unsmooth or harsh operation in heavy stop/go traffic where the clutch's get warm, and there can be a bit of lag on take off on some cars when trying to take off slow and smooth.
Clutch heat is one issue, and smooth clutch application via software is another. Still, overall I find these transmissions to be really cool and quite smooth for what they do.
A torque converter can take up much more shock than a DCT as the TC has fluid to help dampen engine to trans shock, whereas a DCT is a standard clutch operated trans where the clutch is operated by electronics, but it's still a "hard" connection between engine and trans.
But, to me that's what makes if feel more like the real thing.
Appreciate 0