View Single Post
      05-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Wow, that comment was unbelievable. You just totally discredited yourself as a respectable car enthusiast on this site.
I think you're interpretation quite 1 dimensional. As someone who has owned multiple 3 series, I've watched the car that I was very enthuistiac about become corrupted.

The 3 is becoming too large, and its getting stuffed with counterintuitive technologies like idrive. Related to new technology, if you want to give me the ability to check my oil level on the insturment cluster, that's fine, but don't delete the oil dipstick on the engine...I'd rather not burn up my engine, or overfill it because of a malfunctioning sensor.

The 3's signature driver oriented cockpit now looks like something borrowed from a late 80's Camry, the new simplified instrument cluster looks like something out of any 90's Japenese econobox, my spare 95 Dodge Caravan has a more informative instrument cluster than the current 3 series. And while we're on the inside, what happeded to the trademark well placed window switches on the center console?...now the controls are tilted away from me on the drivers door?

I used to be proud that my BMW always had a full size spare on an identical rim as the rest of the car...now BMW has decided to stick you with those horrible runflats. If you like runflats, fine, that can be YOUR option that YOU order on YOUR car, but don't force me into something I don't want or need. Then there's the matter of Bangle styling.

There's also legitimate competition for all trim levels of the 3 series today, where there was not in the past. If you're looking at the M3 level, the Audi RS4 has a phenominal engine, more mature and elegant styling, and a much sportier (and idrive free) quality feeling interior. And its more distinctive because its not anywhere near as common. But you don't want to see any of that do you? Just as long as you see the M3 badge then its all good to you, right?

I wanted to like the E92, but after an objective evaluation, a just couldn't.
Appreciate 0