07-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa128 View Post
Geeez...you must place a high premium on a car's engine when every other category is a fail vs a Lexus or Porsche. After reading your review I half expected you to give an overall rating of NOT a very nice car especially if you need to modify a lot of things to make it comparable to a Lexus or Porsche. Seems like you would be much happier returning to a Porsche. To me a great car is the sum of its parts, not any one individual item.
Yep, I have a bit of turbo fever, and nothing else has this type of low end grunt, turbos, and is available with a manual... I had a connection to get a Toyota Aristo, but that fell through (2nd gen gs300 with a 2jzgte from the factory), but it fell through so I decided to keep this car. I nlook for a great platform when I look at a car, and this car definitely has potential to be a monster.

Quote:
I came from a Lexus IS350 to a 128i. A drop in horsepower from 306 to 230. However, I increased my smile factor. Why? On a stock vs stock comparison the steering feel of the Lexus was soft and vague, good for parking but nothing else. The 128i stock suspension was choppy with thumping sounds over rough pavement. The IS350 stock suspension was even choppier with loud banging over rough pavement. Taking fast sweeping corners felt much more assured in the 128 vs the IS350. My daughter felt the 128's base stereo sounded a bit better than the IS350's Mark Levinson. I think they both equally suck. My 128 and the IS350 are both auto transmissions. The 128 shifts more quickly with barely any slippage giving consistent acceleration. The IS350...well...it shifts.
Its interesting you bring up that comparison, I have had the chance several times to drive my mothers IS350, and absolutely love the car. With the car set on ETC power, and the foot down I felt it was very quick. Pushing that car around the corner inspired more confidence than the bimmer IMHO. It had a lot less lean, and just seemed more composed. If I had to buy a car again today, I would have bought the IS, but the no manual option is a killer.

Quote:
Several mods have since been added to my 128 which has increased my smile factor even more. I can't attest to the 1 series reliability; it's too new but after over 1 year there are no leaks, rattles or squeaks and still feels solid as the day I bought it. Like I said, to me a great car is the sum of its parts.
Yep, my philosophy on cars is definitely that a car needs to be nice from the factory, and have the potential to be much better, which this car has.
Appreciate 0