View Single Post
      09-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Changing out the pads to something else will help tremendously. If you pick the right pads you can get the dust level to such a low level you only clean the wheels when you wash the car. Of course there are tradeoffs. Here is my personal experiences based upon much experimentation. I have two cars that I track regularly and I have experimented with both:

EBC redstuff. Virtually dustless and very long lasting. Have used these for years on three different BMWs and an Audi. Hard on the rotors and high pedal pressure. Can withstand HPDEs although not a track pad by any means. Would buy again depending on my priorities. Right now I have these on an Audi A3 that is street use only. Works fine for that.

Hawk Performance Ceramic. Low dust but not as low as the EBCs. Dust is kind of light tan color so its less noticeable. Not very good performance. Will not buy again.

Hawk HPS. Higher dust than Perf Ceramic but lower than stock. Did not hold up well at the track. Will not buy again.

Cool Carbon. Good grip and very low dust. Not much more dust than the EBCs. Not as hard on the rotors. Total meltdown though at the track. Would consider for a street only car but not for any HPDEs.

Performance Friction Z rated. Low-medium dust. More than the Cool Carbons and Red Stuffs. I just ordered my second set of these. They have good grip and have held up at the track although again not a track pad. Not as hard on the rotors as the EBCs. Since I street and track the same car and I'm looking for low dust this pad looks promising.

Bottom line is there are options each with its own tradeoffs. Think of it as a $200 experiment per set (assuming you install yourself). Do be aware that all of the pads have heavier dusting for the first thousand miles or so.

Last edited by Pyrat 2; 09-12-2012 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0