01-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #20
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Great write up and thanks so much for the info!

I am in the middle of deciding wether or not to re-do mine. I was thinking of going a 3-way setup like this too. So you don't recomend going with a 8-3-1 setup? really needs to be 4" in the middle? I am thinking of going Dynaudio 3-ways but the mid is 3'. Also maybe the DLS 3-ways but they too are 3' mid-range.

How deep are those 4"? They look pretty big! No problems depth wise fitting them in?
It's not so much diameter as it is how low they can play.

By the way, cone drivers and dome drivers are apples and oranges in that a 3" dome has very different characteristics than a 3" cone.

If you look at the xover point of the Dynaudio 362 xover, it is listed at 900 Hz. This is almost an octave higher than the Hertz system, and the Hertz system crossover is too high. You want a speaker that can play down to 150-200 hertz, and no 3" dome can do that, they have less excursion than a 3" cone, so they move less air, and will attain less volume.

So while Dynaudio drivers sound great, the 3W set with the 3" dome is absolutely wrong for our cars unless the door panel is redone and a 6.5/7" midwoofer is installed in the bottom of the door.

Just man up and buy Esotar 100mm cone mids at $1400 the pair
Appreciate 0