08-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #24
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
My car used to have a really loud "Pop" that seemed to be coming from the right passenger side corner of the dash. It sounded almost like something was hitting the windsheild, but there was nothing there. It would happen usually as I was taking a sharp turn (like pulling into a parking lot) or when I'd hit a bump shortly after I started driving.

About 6 months ago I actually did get hit by something, and cracked the windshield on the driver's side. Since it was replaced the noise hasn't been back. I always said it sounded like the windshield wasn't fitted just right, and was snapping into place, and now I'm pretty convinced that's what it was.

There have been a LOT of 1 Series owners who've had to have windshields replaced, and it makes me wonder if the glass is being overstressed at the factory. This isn't unheard of for sunroofs, but I've never heard of it happening on windshields.

Very interesing. I have the same issue. usually when I go over a bump or pothole. At first, I thought a rock came off the tire and hit the the bottom of the car, but it has happened way too many times now. The stressed windshield makes sense now.