View Single Post
      08-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
mozman
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupé

Thanks for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1
I had quite a bit of ticking on my '08 135i. Took it to the dealer, turns out there was a recall on certain cars that had fuel injectors off a bad/faulty batch. They replaced 4 of them (dealer based it on their serial numbers and determined if they were from said batch). Noise went away. No such issues on the 1///M.
Had my injectors replaced (or at least what my dealer told me...) on my 335 and it didn't solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Description: Video taken of my 1M's N54 motor after a 30 minute drive (fully warmed up, A/C off entire drive). I heard the noise as I pulled into the driveway, popped the hood, and pulled my phone out. The noise I am trying to track down is the one that disappears at the 5 second mark. This noise is much louder than the typical ticking noise of a direct injection motor. Right as the noise goes away the engine sounds like it is switching to/from something, similar to an A/C compressor switching on/off (again, A/C was off during this video).
Sounds exactly what I'm experiencing.

Quote:
In your 335 video, it appears that the sound goes away at the 38 second mark, correct?
Yes that is correct. The sound can last from minutes to just a few seconds. If I apply a little throttle it goes away for a few seconds and then comes back.

Quote:
Are you just guessing that the noise is coming from the valve train? If so, what makes you think that?
Just a guess and what I've been told by other people guessing...

Quote:
Dackel, check out the video I just uploaded. I think there is a distinction between the usual direct injection noise and this particular noise. Let me know what you think.
The injector ticking is there and I know that is normal but this is x 10 louder.

I spoke to another dealer today and they also told me that this is normal but I have a hard time accepting that on a $70k car.
Appreciate 0