View Single Post
      07-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #67
Nifty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3

My girlfriend and I went to the Drive for Team USA event about 3 weeks to drive a brand new 2013 328i. I've got a 135i on order, but I wanted to see what the N20 four cylinder turbo was all about just out of curiosity.

There's a booth outside with a few BMW employees who are checking people in and out, directing people to their cars, answering questions, etc. Having already done some homework about the new engine and features, I'm joking around with them and asking more 'enthusiast' questions, so perhaps they were happy to have someone there who really appreciated the cars.

The car that I was going to drive comes back and the girlfriend and I hop in and get ready to go. An employee comes over, asks me if I have any questions about the operation of the vehicle, I assure her I don't, and they send me on my way. Expect I didn't get too far...I put the car in drive to pull through the space and give it a bit of gas to idle forward. All the sudden my girlfriend just says NO NO N-! I was confused as to why she was saying that, but then it dawned on me...I CAN'T pull through this space, there is a parking block in front of me. But it was too late...up on the block I went, first the front lip and then the tire. Luckily I was able to stop before the tires went all the way over, but there were some horrible grinding noises on the way there.

I immediately put the car in reverse and come back down, at which point I was treated to a few more un-natural sounds. I glance out the window to the booth with the BMW employees...they had seen the whole thing. They weren't upset at all, but boy, they were sure doing a bad job of holding back their laughter (I can't blame them). As my girlfriend is trying to slouch out of sight due to embarrassment, I rolled down the window, said "Sorry about that" and went on my way. When I returned from my drive not a word was said about the incident, but I'll never live it down...

So, not my car, but that's definitely the dumbest / most embarrassing thing I've managed to do.

tldr: Made a point of being an enthusiast, drove a brand new 2013 328i up on a parking block, BMW employees laughed at me.
Appreciate 0