Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Here's another from Australia.

125i vs RX-8 vs Brera
The Sydney Morning Herald, September 13, 2008

Alfa:
Great style inside and out, but heavy and thirstiest. Back seats for kids only. Also the least enjoyable to drive.
"It drives like a passenger car with harder suspension, so it sits flatter in corners but rides quite uncomfortably over bumps."

BMW:
Most powerful, torquiest, and by far the most flexible engine. Also the most fuel efficient in the group. M Sport suspension too bouncy on big bumps and holes. Styling is polarizing. Chassis is well-tuned, but steering not as sharp as the Mazda's at the limit. Everywhere else, it's more comfortable and quieter (even with the runflats). Interior is an improvement over recent BMW's.
"Emitting a distant but distinctive induction howl, the 125i can really get up and fly. But it is just as enjoyable for its calm and civilised behaviour around town. Realistically, out of these three, it is the only true everyday car."

Mazda:
Unique design, smooth high-revving engine and well-sorted suspension tempered by high consumption, road noise, tight cockpit and basic materials.
"The RX-8 is a car for enthusiasts who like to hear the engine rev and enjoy corners. In reality, though, with its high-pitched engine, the RX-8 sounds faster than it is actually travelling which, these days, may not be a bad thing."

Verdict:
The Alfa Romeo impressed with its sharp looks and classy cabin presentation. As a style statement, it's the standout. However, as a sports car, it doesn't have the same urge or agility as its peers. And it was, surprisingly, the thirstiest car here despite having the smallest engine.
The Mazda RX-8 connects with the road in a way that makes you wish for carefree blue-sky days and traffic-free mountain roads. But it's not as fast as its high-revving engine would have you believe. And it's also not as frugal as it could be.
That leaves the BMW 125i as our pick in this test. It does the mundane jobs required of it as a modern motor car but also has the depth of capability to be thoroughly enjoyed. It's the most fun to drive and yet the easiest to live with day to day.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=56963
Appreciate 0