View Single Post
      08-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #110
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

The Manual v DCT will rage on until the end of time.

Before the DCT and faster autos came along, there were always some manual drivers that would constantly rave on about how the manual was faster, that it was more involving, that it was more hardcore, I could go on and on. Those types were so passionate about letting the world know they drive a manual and went out of their way to put you down if you drove a slushbox. I hear it time and time again, if they don't make it in manual then I would rather drive whatever else. I never understood why, I put it down to an ego thing. Fair enough you love your manual but keep it in your pants.

Now the tides have turned. The DCT is without a doubt faster and better than the manual in every aspect that is performance related. The steptronic in its own right has proven to be consistently faster than the manual as well. Now I'm seeing some of the DCT drivers coming forward and giving stick to those hardcore manual fans and it is those passionate manual fans that don't know how to take it.

At the end of the day you're driving the same car and it's personal preference whether you drive a manual/step/DCT. You don't need to defend or justify your reasons why you chose it over the other because everyone is different. It's just another option that you tick off when you order your car.

Some of us chose to sacrifice some aspect of performance and structual rigidity so we could drive around with the top down. It wasn't my cup of tea but I don't go out of my way to put anyone with a convertible down, I appreciate what they have or keep it to myself because it doesn't affect me. I think Alpine White is the sexiest colour but I don't go around bashing 1ers in other colours. Anyways, I think that's enough with the examples.

I for one am a huge fan of the DCT and think it's a big step forward and I hope to have it on my next car. It has enough driver involvement for me and it is unbelievably quick. Everyone bought their car for different reasons and the transmission choice is no different.
Appreciate 0