View Single Post
      03-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
deliberate1
Rep
Drives: 2006 530xi

Difference between "sport package" and "M sport package"?

Friends, this is my first post. I have enjoyed lurking on the site for a while. I just joined because I am in the market for a used 1 Series coupe. The only option that is mandatory for me is the package that has the sport seats and suspension. As I have looked at different listings, I have become a bit confused about the difference between the "sport package" and "M sport" package.

As I understand it, there are distinctive trims finishes unique to the "M" cars - deadpedal, steering wheel, roof liner, handbrake, etc. And I understand that there are 18" wheels unique to the "M" cars as well. What is not clear to me is whether the sport seats are different in the "M" cars and whether there are suspension or brake tweaks unique to the "M" model, or is it all just cosmetic.

I have seen several cars on Autotrader that have some of the "M" interior details but only one that actually had what I understand to be the unique wheels (261M). This led me to wonder if you can order the "M" trim items without getting the entire package (suspension and wheels?).

I a looking for a used but well-loved coupe for my summer ride. For the past seven years I have been driving (on the crappy roads of Maine) an '01 Audi S4 (B5). It has been a real trooper. Now with 191k miles, it still runs like a champ and still turns heads (Nogaro Blue with black limo tint - that has cost me some ticket $ but I figure it is just part of the ownership cost). I would like to rest it during the summer and keep it for my winter commute. Was in a '99 A4 before that (retired it at 150k miles).
Wife's car is a white '06 530xi. What a wonderful car. Solid and capable - like it was carved from a single piece of "car element."
Finally, we have the trusty '03 Dodge Grand Caravan. Don't laugh. With four studded Hakkepelitta's it will go most anywhere the Audi and BMW will. And with 245k miles on it, it has been there and back. "Stand by your van...."

Appreciate any help I can get on this. I actually would like to avoid the 18" wheels that I understand come with the "M" versions. I have bent too many 17" rims on Maine roads already.

Thanks,
David
Appreciate 0