04-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #73
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
Hi Dackel, my sockets are all brand new, and although not Snap-On or anything hyper expensive they are decent quality chrome vanadium sockets. Weirdly, when using the only socket that seemed to fit and a breaker bar for leverage it just seemed to round them off like they were made of cheese. Don't think I rounded them much though. I've since bought a set of Irwin sockets for removing rounded bolts, so hopefully they will fit in the space as required. Could I replace these nuts with a stainless set, rather than the BMW ones? Or is there some reason I shouldn't?
I would stick with the copper BMW nuts. I think stainless would loose its strength over time and heat.

There is also a product that looks like a grease. You can smear it onto old rounded nuts... the grease has little bits of metal in it to "grab" or fill in the worn out nuts/gap. Most places that sell automotive oils and grease know of a product like this.

I would still be temped to buy a new 13 mm socket. And I would soak the crap out of those nuts. Maybe if you can spray them down a few times during the day - before attempting to remove them - that might do the "trick".
Appreciate 0