01-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
Luvmybmw
One Fast 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Just a thought....I am by no means an engineer, but could using a single turbo result in the power falling off relatively quick? I know with the twin turbo N54 the car is able to hold its power curve fairly well to redline.

Would a single turbo N55 contribute to a sharper power curve decrease towards redline due to lack of flow?

Thoughts?
I also am not an engineer, but found this...

It it better for the turbo-spool up when it is only 3-cylinders that banging into the impeller. 6-cyl it to smooth if you understand what i mean. Why do you think the old Alpina B10 Biturbo had two turbos, and why does the new 335i have two. Toyota Supra, Nissan Skyline and so on.
I have a friend that is working on Saab. He is mapping the turbo engines for them, and he says it is a little bit better to have twin turbo on a strait six engine than just to have one. But like i said, one works good also, but maybe you will have little more lag.

Another thing is if you have one turbo with two intakes... then it is also best to have 3-cylinders in one hole and the other 3 in the other. So just donīt put all cylinders to one pipe.

But of course like you said, it is easier and cheaper to only have one turbo.
Appreciate 0