View Single Post
      01-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I believe the best part of 1M exhaust components is the down pipes, not perfect maybe but still they seem to be allright. It is the section that by keeping it stock we save most buck, avoid gas smell and any kind of engine/ECU issue.

I find both the rear muffler and mid pipe as worse by design or at least they are more restrictive than necessary. The muffler is too big, heavy and visible with questionable built quality and it is too quiet for this type of a car while the tips are also not the best design, too plain.

The mid pipe is probably the main source of excessive drone and it is restrictive due to second pair of cats plus a resonator and I don't even go to resonator being a dummy/a pseudo box arguement. Mid pipes are also heavy like the muffler.

If there is one section worth keeping, that is the down pipes since changing them is quite costly and never without downsides plus the gains are reported to be less than you want it to be after all that headache, that's what some reputable tuners themselves concluded, like GIAC. Unless you want an aggressive tune which needs catless dps that does not seem to be cost effective to change them.

The mids should go first imo, alternative being the muffler or both sections like myself chose to go for. If you buy a full exhaust by the same brand like Akra or Lightweight etc. which was tested to work with good results and confirmed by owners, then it may worth changing whole exhaust including dps too, but only if you can justify the price of it since none of them will come cheap really.

This is the way that I see this whole 1M exhaust enigma, arguably weakest part of the stock car together with the charge pipe issue. Like some others posted before, I also advise to keep the down pipes and work with the other sections instead.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0