03-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #32
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
Thanks for the news Bryan.

I am not crazy about the engine lineup personally, but I like the connection that the person was making to the older Bimmers. Now one thing that this face lifted 1 series is missing compared to its ancestors is a good communicative hydraulic steering. A driver's car from BMW with numb electirc steering? Maybe it'll be ok, but I am worried.
I'm a little disappointed in the engine lineup myself, but only because my hopes for an M version of this car are quickly fading. I just can't see them making an ///M1, given what that name was originally applied to. I think the 135i is going to be a great car, and I'll be glad to own one. It just won't be an M car. Regarding the electric steering, I find the MINI Cooper's electrically assisted steering to offer plenty of feedback, I dare say on par with your WRX Wagon, which is pretty darn good (my wife has one too! :w00t. Even the former Turner Motorsport World Challenge Touring cars (and unknown others in the series) used electric power steering. You may recall the early E46s took a LOT of flak over their numb (engine driven) steering, but BMW swallowed their pride and put it right. Doubtful they'll make that mistake again. An electric system is tunable, just as an engine driven system is.
Appreciate 0