View Single Post
      10-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #93
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
My bottomline when it comes to performance is always this, which car can I drive faster. Well, I've had the pleasure of both this year and the drives are more different than hairsplitting would dictate on paper. For sure I can drive a Z4 M faster than a 135i because it's more confidence inspiring. Plus, I really like the heavy steering feel and the always planted feeling at high speed. Have you driven both enough to have an opinion?

The fact you make a special mention of high altitude only proves to me you're looking far and hard for any advantage to make up the gap. Audi enthusaists do the same when they throw in wet conditions. But you may be correct that at 6 or 8 thousand feet the 135i may have an advantage. I wouldn't know as I've never operated anything at that altitude.

Truthfully, the 0-60 times are near the same and the only figures that count are the ones BMW posts as their's are the most standardized. In those, the Z4 M is .2 seconds faster. 0-60 is one thing, but by no means something definitive to measure total performance. Lots of cars these days are close in that performance figure, and for sure a turbo can be boosted in power quite easily. Personally I wouldn't dare touch a motor still in warranty and risk reliability. If my car is slower than others than so be it. It drives the way I like and for sure has a really serious performance envelope, far beyond 0-60 times. For sure the best sports car package I've ever driven and had the pleasure to own. Hell, the steering wheel alone is worth the difference in price. An obvious exaggeration but everything you touch in the car from the seats to the steering wheel to the gearshift knob is about perfect. Strap it on some time and see for yourself.
As I said in the second post, I drove it and did not fall in love. I couldn't believe it either because I wanted to love the z4m soooo much and had one that I could have gotten for 45k in the beautiful blue. I had convinced myself that I didn't need a backseat and all that. Granted it was only a test drive, but when I was driving it, it just wasn't all that spectacular and had sooo many short comings for practicality. (Blind spots, egress, 2 seats) But I still feel it is sexy, but I think I like the 2001's better.

The reason I value the turbos and high altitude performance is because in a few months I may have to move to the mountains do to an upcoming pcs, if I do that with a z4m I might as well sell it because it aint the same car anymore. That is why it is important to me, it is still a drivers race in my eyes at sea level.

BMW didn't want to upset the people who worship at (and donate thousands to) the church of "M". When everyone else tests it as faster, go ahead and believe it is faster. Not only is the 0-60 better, the braking was too and the skidpad was nearly identical IIRC.

I stand by my statement that, though the z4m would feel more fun (faster) on the track, it would be close enought to really make the difference the driver. If you are faster in the z4m, then you have made the right choice (are you $15,000 worth of faster:iono. In the end the two cars are very comparable, even on the track.