View Single Post
      09-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #17
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

takahashi, I think you're reading between the lines when there wasn't anything to read between. By that I mean, what I was trying to say is when you drive on a public road (whether that is the drive to work, supermarket, or on a cruise), you will be covered by insurance. Of course do something illegal (eg. exceed the speed limit), and then when the predictable accident happens, and don't expect insurance.

On a racetrack regardless of the situation (except driver education is covered under some policies) you get zero cover. I'm guessing that is what scares people with road cars away from racetracks.

I am not suggesting, recommending or commenting that driving beyond the speed limit, the car's ability, or the driver's ability is okay on public roads cause you have insurance to cover the costs.

Now considering I've never actually taken part in a cruise before, I can't comment on driving standards that you believe may exist on a cruise. That said, when I take part in the Oct Melb cruise I'll be maintaining the same standards of driving that I always do on the road. And to date I've had one speeding offense in +10 yrs of driving, but since it was less than 10km/h I got it swapped for a warning. And when I got the itch to go fast a few years back, I got myself a racecar and that cured that problem.

So I suppose that means I agree with what you are saying. I was just trying to suggest a reason why people may be more willing to participate in a cruise on public roads, compared to a track based activity.