View Single Post
      05-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #78
perral1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Vert DCT LMB/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by msos View Post
Manual Mode has both M and S.......to be honest have not read the owners manual on the exact differences but it appears as others have stated that if you manually shift in this mode with the paddles the tranny holds the gears for you............BUT..........when it feels you are no longer engaged it takes over for you and shifts both UP and DOWN........

In everyday driving (in traffic) its hard to stay focussed on what exactly is going on and when the tranny seems to take over for you, but the track is where I will find out for sure........if I notice anything different I will keep you all posted.
You're the one with the car and I'm not, so I don't mean to contradict you, but....that doesn't seem like the intended or expected behavior. The car should never leave M mode unless you push the lever back over into "D" mode. If you shift while in D mode, then that's what I've read happens - it holds the gears you select temporarily, then takes back over. When you shift while in S mode, it should move to M mode and stay that way.

I guess I'll know in a few weeks. My car got on a boat on Friday (May 7) so hopefully not too much longer.
Appreciate 0