01-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
I've run 4 BMWs so far (and my son has one, too) over the past 13 years with a total of just under 500,000km on them all together. All of them have been started in -35°C to -30°C weather when parked outside. None of them have had any issues.

This sort of temperature is normal here in the winter, most cars have no problem when properly maintained and fitted with the appropriate oil and coolant mixture, in starting at below -30°C without a block heater. Even my Z4M with 10w60 oil starts without problem at -30°C after being parked outside at work all day.

I'm not sure what your experience at starting vehicles in low temperatures is, but we're all experienced in Western Canada at doing this, without any detriment to modern cars.
When I lived in North Dakota (southern Canada lol) we regularly saw temps below -30 this time of year. Most cars (unless big v8s) will still start in te low temps. Will be harder for sure without a block heater but they will. I was lucky enough to have a garage that it usually stayed about 50 degrees in or about 30 when it was negative temps out.

I always had my coolant changed twice a yr. In late spring I'd do a 50/50 mix and just before winter I'd do about a 65/45 mix which gave me freezing protection up to-60

Now I live in southern Spain so I say screw winter and having snow tires and a winter beater lol.
Appreciate 0