06-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
NL-J
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
It's funny you have the exact same issues I had. The third from the top line of my rear defroster had a small void in it from the factory which is why I had it replaced in December '08 after picking it up in June. They did have to replace the whole top because there is no other way to fix it. It was the first one they ever did which is where I believe it become out of alignment which caused the fraying thread and the worn out rubber gasket.

And, I do not experience any creaking after having it for 2 years now.
I think mine also has the third line failing. I went back and asked if they found the cause of the loose stitching, but they hadn't or didn't check Hope to hear soon from them to have the top replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemisphereDancer
I recently took my '08 128i vert in for normal service. About a month prior to the service I noticed a loose thread that ran from the back of the driver window to the front and hung down about three inches from the seam. I also had the wear mark that has been mentioned on the driver side behind the windows.

I grabbed a loaner and headed out. About an hour later my SA called to tell me they were going to replace the top and liner. They also modified the mechanism for the wear mark.

It took just under a week and I went to pick up the car. It really looked to me that the new moonlight top appeared to shimmer more, but that may have just been the sun that day.

When I got in the car to leave I noticed that the liner above the driver side was not installed properly. Within 5 minutes I was back in the loaner. Late the next day after a fedexed liner arrived and was installed I had my 128 back and the top and liner looked great.

I admit I was surprised they replaced it when I went in and did not just clean up the threads. I was happy with BMW's commitment to my 128. Not as happy at the liner being installed wrong and my having to catch it but it was handled quickly.

Chris
The loose stitching on my roof was about an inch in length and they fixed it with a repair kit from BMW. The stitching from the kit is lighter than the original though, so it looks odd. Made a comment on it and they understood but because of the rear window heater not working 100% they filed a claim at BMW anyway. To fix that, the top has to be replaced so that would solve the stitching issue too. Also asked them when I'm getting a new roof to replace the spacers on the top frame that could cause the wear issue with the updated ones as they could get to them easy with the roof off.