View Single Post
      01-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Are you talking Australia or in the USA. There are no single kits in Australia that I am aware of (the kit is LHD). There is only one single kit in the world that I am aware of and it has the world records for dyno, drag racing and 60-130 etc. So it does work and there are happy customers. It is a Niche market, and it pushes the N54 engine to a higher power level than any other system, so it exposes some weaknesses in the power/drive train. So it really is more for a very small percentage of people who want to have the most power an N54 can currently produce and are willing to upgrade everything else in the power/drive train to suit the driving they wish to do at the power level the kit can make.

No matter what way you go, you are never going to take a stock N54 vehicle and bolt on a $15k kit and produce 600hp ATW and never have any issue. Whatever way you do it, you will need to upgrade many other aspects of the car that will be damaged due to running well beyond their engineered loads. Eventually all the weaknesses will be solved and it may be possible to produce a kit for $30k+ that is somewhat more reliable, but replaces most drivetrain components and engine components like ignition and fuel system.

So the single is not marketed at people who think it is too expensive and they can get better value with other twin turbo options. Those people are welcome to go that way and will be happier for it. If however someone has some cash and wants to go the next step above the twin turbo options, then they should consider the single.
Appreciate 0