09-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #102
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
For me that is exactly what I have done. Full size spare carried in the trunk.

I just travel too far away from my home base to risk being stranded in some little village or another EU country. Even though BMW Assist and/or ADAC (the German automobile club) is just a phone call away. Still I don't like having to depend on some roadside service. Its far better to have a full size spare and jack.

At first I bought one of BMW's alloy spare donuts and the jack kit. The spare is a 3.5inch by 17" alloy spare. But when I had to use it... the handling was quite scary. It made my rear end want to wiggle and fishtail in the rain - not a good feeling. And of course I got that flat tire some 500+ kms from my home and had to drive 100 km to Nurburgring for a vintage race and then drive back to my home in Bavaria. Lucky for me, another 1Addict lived close by and let me borrow one of his winter wheels. THAT was a life saver.

It was then and there I decided to buy a full size spare. I ordered a 7Jx17 steel wheel for a e46 330i, and then mounted a 205/55ZR17 tire.

Attachment 910093

Attachment 910094

Attachment 910095

Attachment 910096

Attachment 910097

BMW's eu only mini spare donut. The reason why its only available over here is bc the tire has no DOT rating on it.
Attachment 910098
You Sir have the cleanest most orderly trunk I have ever seen
Appreciate 0