View Single Post
      05-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

My 1-er Coupe

My 1-er Coupe

Advevo's great pic of the 1-er. This convinced me.

The 1-er has totally captured my heart. I don’t need to see the car in person or drive it to convince me that I want one. I’m not a tuner or a modder, I won’t race the car on the weekends...
but I want a car that is capable of being raced. Style is important, economy, technological advances and definitely the values and history that are attached to the BMW roundel. So.....

I’ve gone to my dealer and told them I want to have the first 1-coupe in my part of the country.
I want one of the first ones custom ordered from the factory built to my specs to arrive in the U.S.
This probably comes as no surprise to some of the guys who've been early and often contributors to the site.

I walked in with a print of advevo’s cell-cam photo and showed it to the general manager and sales manager of my local BMW dealership.
They hadn’t seen a better photo of the car but, interestingly they both knew a lot about it and seemed genuinely excited about the sale to me and the car itself.
Here’s what I’ve learned from them- they think the 1-er will be in N/A before May 2008.
They anticipate the 3.0 equipped model to be priced around 32k tho neither knew what kind of engine packages will be offered for sure.
What they do believe is that it will be more than a niche vehicle that appeals to only insiders.
One guy, who seemed pretty well informed talked about heritage, about BMW returning to its “roots” and how this series will spin off into roadsters and crossovers.
Rare to see a hardcore businessman rhapsodize so eloquently- perhaps it was part of the sales schtick he's worked on over the years.

I will probably end up doing most of the research. I’ve got a salesman assigned to us
but I have a feeling it will be me calling him more often than he calls me. Barring any unforseen hitches (eg: dealer avarice, delay in introduction) I should have my 1-coupe in a year from now.
I hope it all goes smooth.

I thought as time goes on, this thread could spawn more info and contributions from and for future owners like myself about purchases, prices, deals, options -

Appreciate 0