View Single Post
      05-19-2007, 10:42 PM   #18
larry lawless
excellence
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett8210 View Post
In order for this all to work the 1 series needs to be starting around $27K. Any higher than that and most people will not see the advantage over a 328i.

With that being said, the next step will have to be around $5K more. I don't see BMW discounting their TT engine to be placed in a car for $32K. Such a move would risk a significant cannibalism of 335i sales (of both coupe and sedan numbers). Don't forget the convertable is coming and BMW has to charge a premium over the coupe, but get it below $40K.

Therefore, the 135i coupe at $35K with options over $40K and a 135i convertable at over $45K? This makes no sense. They won't do that. I have no doubt that the TT will probably be in the 1 series, but only as the M. Then they can charge what they want because people will pay it.

Additionally, they will probably detune the 128 and retune the 130 so that there would be a marketable difference in performance to justify a $4-5K difference.

i agree, you have to remember that all of us on this forum are the hardcore fans that come out and talk about how we want and hope the car turns out and we want it to cater to our needs. but u must remember that bmw is designing this car for the world and they wanna cater to everyone and to do that the price has to be just right and a 135i price would have to fall around $35k US and like someone else said before. the convertible is coming as well and with options it would be to high of a price to pay for the non-hardcore.

but i have faith that they will make it the best they can and not just a car to fill a market:respekt: