10-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #79
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
I've got 500 miles on a set of stock sized PSS on my 100% stock 1M. It took me 7500 miles to get down to the PS2s wear markers and replaced the set at 8000 miles. That should give u an indication of my driving style.

When going to the new set it was important to me to not decrease tire profile and presumably impacting ride quality and to leave turn-in as direct as possible.

Turn-in:
Not as direct. I knew going into my decision that the PSS had superior grip at a cost of turn in crispness. Years ago I swapped sticky wider tires on onto one my cars, and lost all the turnin sharpness and feel and gained buckets of grip. Ultimately there was so much squish that street driving become annoying. Defn wanted to avoid this scenario. So stuck with stock width. As a result there is a loss of directness and during turn in there is a tiny transition to actual turning. Once turned the car just friggin hooks and grips. The gain in grip far exceeds the loss in feel.

Comfort:
Its nicer. Not by massive amounts, but the tires did seem to take a bit of edge off of expansion joints. Glad to have gained a bit of comfort.

Looks:
Rears look much less stretched than stock. PSS seem to have a more beefy shoulder and blockier fit then PS2. Nice surprise. Fronts still look streched, about same as stock.

I am extremely happy with the gain in traction, grip and comfort in dry and wet. Love these tires,... You'lll get plenty of performance with stock sizes. Perhaps a tune and N55 mids will have me rethinking the rear widths....

Good luck with your decisions!
After 3000 kms. on stock sized PSS on a stock car as well, I can totally second these impressions
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0