View Single Post
      07-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_135i View Post
That is correct. I have a 6MT. I was wondering if that was a factor because "sluggish" definitely describes the way the car feels with the A/C on. I don't have any problem with jerkiness ("I'm an excellent driver" - Rain Man ) but the sluggish performance compared to A/C off is a real drag. Are you saying if I had a DCT I wouldn't notice any degradation of performance? No sluggishness? The car would go go go just the same as A/C off? Or are you specifically addressing the jerkiness issue that others have which would not be there with an auto?
The drag on the engine will be the same whether it's MT or AT.
In either car you have to adjust your throttle input.
In an MT you simply use more throttle to compensate for the added drag.
In an AT, as well, you have to use more throttle to compensate or the added drag.

As for the "jerkiness", that's up to the MT driver. If the driver has a lazy shift, then he may get a more jerky feeling as the rpms will drop a bit quicker compared to no AC drag.

In an AT there is of course no tendency for a "jerky" shift as the shift is done differently.

More throttle. That's what is needed. OH, and no lazy shifting, which one shouldn't be practicing in the first place.
Appreciate 0