View Single Post
      06-13-2010, 02:55 AM   #28
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post

I know quite a few who go by BMW recommended intervals and they have nothing but problems. And those that change there oil sooner than later go hundreds of thousands of miles with not a puff of blue smoke. So please stop misleading the peonage.
Really?
You know quite a few with nothing but problems due to following BMW's intervals?
I doubt it.

I've been on BMW forums for about a decade, and BMW's are NOT known for having engine problems due to following BMW's oil service intervals.
If this were such a big problem, as you allude to, then it would be a known issue. But, we don't hear that, and it's not a known common issue.

It is quite misleading to scare people into changing their oil sooner than they need to. I have nothing against owners who do change their oil before the recommended interval, but there is no large body of evidence to show there are problems by following the recommended interval.
So, it comes down to personal choice and beliefs.
Personally, I don't subscribe to belief systems when it comes to things mechanical, as mechanics is based on science.
Believing your engine will last longer if you change your oil at 3k instead of 10k, doesn't mean it will, and conversely it doesn't mean your engine will die sooner if you follow the proper intervals either.

The only interval that doesn't make sense to me is changing your fully synthetic, 7 quarts of oil, before the 5k mark.
Unless you've done a real analysis of your engine, and it shows that your oil is not holding up, I consider that interval to be a waste of money, time, and natural resources.
Appreciate 0