View Single Post
      06-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #38
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Another thing the CDV avoids is the full shock of dumping the clutch on a reved up engine on the drive train. When I want to start quickly, I rev to 2500-3000 rpm and just drop the clutch. On my 128i, and with the CDV in place, I am not concerned about damaging the clutch, or rear end, or drive shafts. On a 1M, if you do the same or worse, your potential for issues is greater. I don't know if it is still up but there used to be a thread I found by googling of a M3 driver that peeled the splines off his drive shafts doing hard starts at a drag racing track.

I can drive my car smoothly with the CDV in place and I suspect you can too if you want to. If you prefer to have more feel for the clutch engagement point, I can understand that, but it may be important to remember that our drivertrains are not bullet proof and you are eliminating a form of shock limitation for them so you need to compensate. Smoothly letting the clutch out even on a hard start instead of just dropping it might help you keep things intact if you delete the CDV.

Jim