View Single Post
      01-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #134
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
You just wrote the exact definition of a factory second.

They aren't taken off the line randomly. They were taken off the line because they aren't up to spec. Just because you aren't aware of how they failed testing doesn't mean that there weren't determined to be not good enough.
re-read what i posted.. they are COMPLETELY up to spec

the definition of a factory second is a lower quality part that is sold at a lower price to recoup costs

what i wrote:

"they're 100% guaranteed not 'factory seconds', they're parts that otherwise would have been installed on an M3, no cherry picking, no defects." (at least no more defects than their could be in purchasing directly from BMW)

read through the thread, TRW and all the other vendors, as mentioned, guaranteed they were fully up to spec not defective items, as they do not cherry pick... They're off the same production line destined for M3's, just not actually installed in them.. if you read the posts containing emails, you'll find if they willingly sell defective products without stating that they are in fact factory seconds, that's somewhat illegal.. as there are certain safety issues, and lawsuits that would ensue

They're sold OEM for profit reasons, not loss-mitigation.. they can guarantee to sell X for M3's straight to BMW, that's good guaranteed profits.. but if you could also sell Y to the aftermarket, and repairs.. It's poor business not to.. Especially as you're probably making a larger profit per sale on the directly sold components.

yeah, the occasional arm could be defective

but so could one installed on an M3, or sold directly by BMW.

Add to that, the TRW items are fully warranted like anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Indeed.

The indy I go to won't install parts from ECS/pelician/etc. No OEM, only OE (as in from a BMW dealer like getbmwparts or bmwpartsstore) because he's tired of having issues with the parts and having his labor blamed for it. They're cheaper for a reason. Sometime they work flawlessly and you get a good deal. Other times there an issue.
that sound like bs to me... you know 99% of the stuff both ECS and pelican sells are OEBMW, not OEM... right? they're (OEBMW parts) only usually slightly cheaper from them due to bulk purchasing.. and the reason the TRW parts are cheaper i more than likely they sell them even CHEAPER in bulk to BMW, they're probably themselves making more of a profit on the directly sold TRW stuff rather than the TRWBMW parts.. we all should know that BMW has a MASSIVE markup on their parts, some dealers more than others..

that's just like saying 'nah i wouldn't purchase the struts from bilstein because they're OEM not OEBMW" when you know it would be perfect from bilstein... or 'nah i wouldn't purchase the calipers and rotors directly from brembo because theyre OEM'

they're properly silly statements to make lol

Last edited by flinchy; 01-21-2013 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 1