09-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
It won't do anything to the fuel system over time. The only thing that I can think of happening is as the rubber seals deteriorate, the water content in the ethanol could get in there and freeze in low temps, making the cracks worse. They should be replaced at that point anyways. But it will not break anything down by virtue of using it. The issues that fuel pumps have (sometimes, and really only at E40-E50) is due to specific gravity.

Water in the fuel also helps cool down combustion temps. We're talking very very low amounts that atomizes well. Like in water injection. I've heard wall-wetting thrown around a little here and there, but I'm not sure how much of an issue that is with our direct injection system vs the port injection of the past.

I don't buy that. Ethanol allows water to attach to it. Hence it can get further down the fuel system and cause damage/corrosion. When the E10 and E05 fuels started to come out in Germany(2011)... even BMW(and other car makers) were telling us different things. Some said within the company its ok, but the engineers said it was not good over the long term.

Sulfur free gas and the new E10 fuel in Germany…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485903

Today most German gas stations sell the regular blend fuel, which is E10(10% ethanol) 95 octane, called: Super. Then they have another Super with is also 95 octane but only has 5%, called E05 Super. And then we have our premium fuel called SuperPlus 98 octane which as NO ethanol.

I only use 98 octane SuperPlus in my car.
Appreciate 0