View Single Post
      05-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #27
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
I will have an additional set of tires/wheels with max performance all-seasons for winter. Which is what I have done in the past, with other performance cars I have owned.

The Pirelli P-Zero Nero M + S served me well over two winters. They are not true snow tires but seemed up to the task. Even getting me out of my very lengtly gravel driveway with 7+ inches of snow. On the road I never had an issue either, they were fine.

My wife had Continental Conti-Extremes on her car (RWD) and they worked well also.

IMO true snows would be overkill if you live in an area with reliable snow removable proceedures, AKA in town/suburbs. If I lived in a more rural area I would get full blown snows for sure. YMMV of course, buy what you think is best for your area, skill level, and car.

So in short, I will have the OEM RFT's until I can destroy them and get real tires, and I will have max performance all-seasons for winter.

I live near Chicago, so winters can be harsh. You just need to be smart and save the really fun driving for summer.

DO NOT use summer tires when temps fall below say 40 F, they don't grip. I found that out at an early season autocross in my EVO. I was on a long sweeper, not going all that fast....SNAP back of the car was going first! Same corner with higher temps and I would have been going 15mph faster and probably STILL would have had room to go faster. IT MATTERS.
I live in Waukegan by Gurnee and was wondering what tire to get for winters. I work only 2.2 miles from home and only 14 days a month. The roads are usually cleared well, BUT this year was a real bitch. More snow/ice then I have seen in a long time. I think I will get a set of 17" wheels and Dunlop 225/45/17" D3 winter tires @ Tirerack. Non-runflat. I was also thinking about getting the spare space saver tire and jack on this website for about $400 total, they both weigh 40# and are small enough to leave in the trunk. That way when the OEM summer runflats wear out I can get non-runflats for summer and already have a spare and jack.
Appreciate 0