06-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you look at the two "dots" on the stick-like float... when its full the stick would never pop up as far as shown in that video. In the video I think its obvious the engine was hot. Or at least fairly hot, not cold. Go check yours and report back. But don't burn your hands.

Btw... its a good idea to put some grease or petroleum jelly on the coolant cap. Its something everyone should do but no one really does. Thats what makes the cap so hard to remove. Also... when you re-install the car keep tightening it until you hear a "CLICK", then its on.
Okay. I see what you are saying now and agree.

My float was about and 1 to 1.25 inches below the min level. It took about .75L to get it to the max level.

For fun, I kept going to see how much it would take to get the float out all the way (as in the video). It took about another .5L and there still looked to be a decent amount of room left in the over flow tank. I sucked out the extra fluid using my antifreeze strength tester.

Bottom line, I suspect it would not be a big deal if, when cold, you fill so the float is out all the way. Can't imagine .5L in a multi-gallon system would make much of a difference.

My cap does not click - it kinda 'slides' into place and will not turn anymore. The arrow on the cap lines up with the arrow on the reservoir.
Appreciate 0