View Single Post
      06-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Another point to consider.
High demand unfortunately also attracts opportunists who are merely concerned by making a quick buck, rather than getting genuine driving pleasure: ordering/buying and immediate putting up for sale the car (or an allocation spot) at a significant markup.
As an M enthusiast, it is sad to read that some US forum members already reported on their dreadful experiences that some dealers seem to contribute creating the scarce 1M availability hype: snatching all available 1M allocations and subsequently offer the 1M's they spec'ed with a markup. 1M's are not prohibitively expensive enough for avoiding any such (re)sale gambles. One of the downsides of the free market supply and demand principles.
IMHO BMW does not approve practices which artificially lock up the market and frustrate genuine potential customers, as competing car manufacturers are on the prow to attract those customers. However, I do not see BMW contractually embargoing resale options for a buyer in order to refrain purely speculative buyers (after all, it's a car company, no charity institution).
So, a production increase maybe ? I can imagine BMW Germany is not insensitive to the 1M success and reviews, and therefore likely to be looking into the option of a production increase if technically feasible as to work capacity and 1M components availability in the time window ending in December 2011. However, I doubt BMW will stretch the time window into 2012. On the one hand BMW stated that there will be no 2012 production run. On the other hand I did nowhere read that a production increase in 2011 is a taboo. For example a BMW Australia representative told the review Car Advice recently: "BMW in Munich has been under constant pressure since we announced the car for the Australian market, and we’re pleased that overwhelming customer demand has meant we’re able to offer more cars to our dealers."
Just my 2 eurocents.
Appreciate 0