09-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
kmpowell
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung8 View Post
No I wasn't aware, and wasn't made aware. I gather 'press preparation' means it was loaned out to magazines etc? What negatives does a press preped car have?

Thanks
Exactly right. Your car was loaned out by BMW HQ (for whom it was originally registered) probably to the motoring press for test reviews and/or for individual/potential/speculative customers to try etc

A quick Google search sees your car was most definitely loaned out by BMW HQ at the start of June... http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...490.18660&nmt= (see post 12 on the linked page)

To be fair, as there's no photo evidence of your car on the web, your car may not have been loaned out for test drive reviews, but it certainly was registered and owned by BMWHQ who loaned it out at some point so the chances are it may have had some 'spirited' test driving. I wouldn't worry too much though, your car has relatively low mileage in comparison to cars like GOX which was loaned out to Top Gear etc and went on sale with 25-30k hard miles on the clock!

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a bit of a doom monger, but I thought it only right you should know the history of the car given they are not cheap, purely becasue I've noticed the press cars are struggling to be sold so the dealers are removing the press prep monika on them.

As mogli882 says, a quick call to the dealer you purchased it from would be my advice also. Make sure they send you something in writing (email is fine) stating they are 100% happy the car was fully checked, and any items such as break pads (that would have been worn hard) were replaced etc before they put it on sale. Furthermore get them to state they will not use the fact it was a press car against you should any warranty work be required.