View Single Post
      07-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #33
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Well I went with the JB4 for now. Installed it last night.
First off I want to disclose that Terry @ BT is awesome and super patient with me. And I really appreciate his time spent listening to my bitching and all my pictures and mini videos while freaking out in the background.
He stayed in contact with me via email up till 1AM, on a Sunday night, when finally my baby started (funny story, I guess you could call it funny, more of a horror themed story)

I have to admit that whole plug-in-play had me feeling like a plug-in-fail! For like 40 min. scared the crap out of me at first. But then again this is my first piggy back I have installed, and I tend to panic at the first sign of trouble when it comes to my car. That said.

I had installed everything correctly. But I believe I didn’t give my car enough time to reset it-self and “adapt” itself to the JB4.
And the engine was giving me all types of errors when I would try and start the engine.

I freaked out (since I had work the next day, I work at a bank) that I wouldn’t have a functioning car the next morning. So I emailed Terry and decided to go back stock and retry after work the next day….
When I had the car back to stock… It still wouldn’t start and would rev up and down and then id have to turn it off (in fear that I was damaging the engine in some way, and I based that on absolutely nothing)
So I decided to just pull the power, in hopes that it would reset the ecu on stock settings and the car would start as usual….
Now I wouldn’t even start, I’m guessing the car had gone into some sort of… “safe mode”.

By now... Maybe but ten minutes since I had sent Terry an SOS email. He replied, in such a friendly way “you made a mistake, send photos of install” I wasn’t sure whether to be upset at his assumption, or relieved that he didn’t send me a “oh shit, umm this never happens”. I guess he conviction some how soothed me hahah.

Anyways he told me I had to re-install the JB4, and that the reason the car wouldn’t start without it was that the JB4 had to clear the codes I had triggered to even be able to start the car stock or though the JB4.
So I re-installed everything … and took video’s and pictures every step of the way… And once again the car would not start and neither of us could figure out why.

At this point was getting pretty worried about the car, but his continues help made me sure that he wasn’t going to bail out and just clock out for the night.

Finally he told me to just bring in the car (fortunately I live about an hour away from him and have this option) He also told me I could have a local shop clear the codes or to use a tool like the BT or CT to clear the code so the vehicle would operate normally, this I never tried so I don’t know how that would have spanned out.

But when I was planning on moving the car, and put in neutral… I was able to enter the wheel controls, that I was previously not able to enter. At that moment I was sure I was in. It had been about 15 min that I had just left the car alone looking over videos of the installation to triple check everything was okay.

So I selected the 1st tune (recommended for stock cars) and WAAAHLAAAAHHHHH the car started smoothly and was in. At first I had no power steering and within a 20 seconds it kicked in.
Took the car for a little spin, let the car warm up… did I quick little sprint, and man did my butt dyno go crazy! (I’ll elaborate later after I get some more time behind the wheel and am not at work :P)

So I guess moral of the story, and conclusion to my issue was literally to be patient and give the car a couple minutes (15 to be safe) with the piggy back.. and then come back and start it if you have any issues, The physical installation was pretty straight forward and easy. Don’t doubt yourself too much, run a quick check and make sure that the cables are connected facing the right way (verify that arrows are all pointing the same way) everything is smooth and all sub connectors fit perfectly and slid right in, if you have to force it in at all…. Then you are doing something wrong.

And if you need anything Terry is there and WILL respond immediately. Not to mention that he let me pick up the JB4 on Sunday from him because I was too inpatient to wait till then shipped it out to me.

Thank you BT!!
Ps I’m at work, probably shouldn’t be writing this… hahah
Appreciate 0