View Single Post
      07-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #29
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Bit of an update: Just got back from a rather fun road trip, KC to Asheville, NC. Had to spend some time with my mother in Bowling Green, KY before heading further east. We tried to avoid interstates (sorry but if I see another Camry going 5 mph below the posted speed limit in the far left lane . . . ; -).

Other than the cluster of RVs and tourists in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg we had a good trip through the Great Smoky National Park on US 441. We then hooked up on the southernmost end of the Blue Ridge Parkway and drove it to Asheville, NC. Left the car in fifth gear (it's a 6MT) and kept the RPM between 1500 - 2500 (didn't want to be going too much over the posted limit on the parkway - federal fines ; -).

The car was great on those roads, twisting two lanes - I really like this car a lot. It is already a really good "Grand Touring" car (the old school definition, quick, sharp, and with a hint of luxury). Even She Who Must Be Obeyed enjoyed the trip and she deals with a bad back and hip (and an idiot husband to boot).

Awhile back, and many threads ago, Dackelone mentioned that tire pressures WERE important on runcraps in response to a comment suggesting otherwise. Absolutely CORRECT - run the runflats at the door placard pressures or just a bit higher. That will mitigate some of the harshness felt by this tire suspension combination.

We got caught in a couple of toad strangler rainstorms along the way and the RE050As were just OK - I need to re-check their wear; however, they were new last summer and have about 10k miles on them. They are due for replacement before next summer.

I think the '13 135i feels better out of the box than the '08 135i I had previously. But I still get that crashy nonsense over minor potholes and the like.

So that's the focus: find the right tires for the mission of the car, and then tune the suspension to be agile AND comfortable (knowing it won't be tracked).

I think we'll try to get five years on the car (get me to my 70th birthday) and evaluate from there.
Appreciate 0