04-16-2018, 08:02 PM   #33
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
So I did the autocross at FedEx Field on Saturday and just came back from doing the M Car Control Clinic.

For $750, it was well worth it. One of the participants thought they should have canceled the event since it was pouring rain this morning along with being very windy. But I'm glad they still ran it. It's amazing how much grip is still there hanging the car out in the corner even with wet pavement. Now I know how the car will react in adverse conditions. The M Car Control Clinic was a bit unorganized in the fact none of us got reminder emails about it with any details. I did for the UDE. So I just went with what the registration website said which was it started at 9AM. The event didn't really start till 9:30. There was about 30 minutes of video/lecture and then we were on track after that. Bunch of different drills: slalom, braking, braking with ABS triggered while turning, emergency left "lane" change, skid pad, handling (UDE autocross on steroids), rat race (no timing but doing the same handling course but you get to hang it out), and then the timed run with a bigger autocross course.

They took the top 5 times from the two groups. They split us up into two groups. The drivers with the top 5 times got to compete on the UDE shootout course.

It was the whole day. We didn't finish till about 5. They also served us lunch. Will definitely do it again.

Oh and they had us alternating between M3s and M4s. The timed session was done on the M4. It was crazy dealing with the flooring that thing and the alternating dry and wet pavement. There were times I thought was going to lose the back end coming in hot into first tight corner after a longish straight where you really get up there in speed. The hard part was remembering not to lift off the throttle all the way. And the skidpad was entertaining. We went out in 330s with plastic rings installed on the rear tires. With the combination of wet and the slope of the parking lot at Fedex led to many entertaining moments. The goal was to throw the car into an oversteer situation hanging the rear out and then learning how to correct for it. Because of the traction issues, you can hang the back end out without much throttle and as slow as 10MPH. I got the my car spun around 360 degrees a couple of times.
Thanks for the feedback, definitely more interested after what you said. But where do you drive, is it just the parking lot and they make courses out of cones or something?
Appreciate 0